shankara's vivaraNa on vyAsa bhAShya of yoga sUtra-s

Vidyasankar Sundaresan vidya at CCO.CALTECH.EDU
Tue Oct 6 21:23:08 CDT 1998

On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian wrote:

> [Yoga has been enjoined in the vedas as means to direct realization by
> the shruti which prescribes hearing, reflection and contemplation.
> Moreover, in the shvetAshvataropanishhad are found elaborate injunctions
                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> about yogic practice in respect of the posture of the body etc., as for

Is this Subbaramaiah's translation? It seems like an unfortunate choice of
words. Those used to pUrva mImAMsA (their ranks are few in total number,
but not negligible in the academic community) attach a technical meaning
to injunction. Note that the original bhAshya quotation does not use the
term "vidhi," but only says "vihita".

The more I read, the more I am absolutely convinced that sureSvarAcArya's
texts are essential reading for anybody interested in any way in
SankarAcArya. It is a pity that the academic community that discusses the
authenticity of Sankara's works or the internal consistency of his thought
has not paid sufficient attention to his close disciple.

Needless to say, SankarAcArya and sureSvarAcArya *recommend* yogAbhyAsa,
but do not interpret Sruti as *enjoining* it in the mImAMsA sense of
injunction.

Vidyasankar