French scholars translations

Guy Werlings guy.werlings at WANADOO.FR
Thu Oct 8 14:12:19 CDT 1998

Due to my  own,fault pointing out the strange translation of
kevaladvaita by  famous Frenchindologists, the thread on kevaladvaita
and advaita turned to be a matter of translation studies and
Vidyasankar Sundaresan wrote also on 27 Sep :

> On Sun, 27 Sep 1998, Guy Werlings wrote:
>
> > I could quote to you tenths and tenths of such meaningless translations
> > of our French Indologists (they prefer to call themselves indianists)
> > mostly interested in philology and still unable to produce one single
> > readable and faithful translation, the worst ones being the translations
> > of the Upanishads.
>
> That's an amusing and a very interesting comment, considering that the
> Western world was first introduced to Upanishadic thought  I hope that the following quotation will also seem amusing to you :

This is how the world famous Professor Louis Renou translated the well
known invocation in the beginning of the ÎSÂVÂSYOPANISHAD : pUrNam adaH
pUrNam idam pUrNAt pUrNam udacyate. pUrNasya pUrNam AdAya pUrNam
evAvaSishyate.
Plein là-haut, plein ici, le plein est puisé du plein ; quand on a pris
le plein du plein, le plein demeure
i.e, in English :
Full up there, full here, the full is drawn from the full ; when the
full has been taken from the full, the full remains.

a) reading this an ordinary Frencman will think that a fool has written
this and than another fool has made the translation : and with his
cartesian mind, he will say that if you take out the full from the full,
what remains is vacuum or void, but not the full.

b) as a comparison, this is the French translation of SwAmi
SiddheSvarAnanda : cela (cette réalité) est plénitude infinie, ce
monde-ci est plénitude infinie ; l'infini procède de l'infini ;
l'infinie plénitude demeure même si l'univers infini en est issu.
English : That (reality) is infinite plenitude, this (world) is infinite
plenitude ; the infinite world is proceeding from the infinite reality ;
the infinite Reality remains even if the infinite world has come out of
it.
I do not mean that an ordinary Frenchman will understand this at the
very first reading but he will at least start thinking about what is
reality, what is infinite, what is plenitude and will probably come to
the conclusion that all this deserves further investigation.

Om SaantiH, SaantiH, SaantiH

the "quoting Guy" of the list