Shankara Jayanti

Ashish Chandra achandra at WNMAIL.WNDEV.ATT.COM
Tue Apr 20 14:36:51 CDT 1999

Namaskar All,

Perhaps it is befitting that I pose this question of mine on this
auspicious day. It might seem a very innocous, even irrelevant, question
to pose, but the expectation is that it might throw some light on
whether Shri Sankara himself has written in regards to it.

One of my friends posed the question that if the Advaita view takes the
stand that Brahman is the only truth and rest is the Unrevealed, Maya,
an illusion, as some may put it, how is it that if one person becomes
realized, The rest of us don't. His analogy was that if we are all a
part of the same truth, and hence related, if one of us gets to the
truth, then everyone else should also get to know of it the very instant
one of us "realizes" It.

I could not give him a satisfactory answer. Could someone please answer
and clarify. If you need a clarification as to the question, please do
write to me.

Namaskar
Ashish