Complete Works of Adi Shankara - I

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian ramakris at EROLS.COM
Sat Apr 24 15:35:14 CDT 1999

Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at BRAINCELLS.COM> wrote:

>Is this list taken from the six volume set of the complete works of
>Shankaracharya published by Samata books?  I would be very grateful
if any
>of the list members knew where I could get a copy.  My understanding
is
>the publishers are all out and may not issue another edition for a
while.

It's a 10 volume set. When I visited India in December, I visited the
Samata bookstore and talked to the owner/proprietor of the shop. She
told me that the sets have been completely sold out. I was able to get
4 volumes. Apparently they put in about 4 lakhs of ruppees in the late
70s and they got sold out just recently! Remember 4 lakhs was a very
large sum in the late 70s.  Apparently such books do not make any
money, and actually they incurred a huge loss. She said they are
trying to publish it again, although the paper quality will not be as
good due to some new import restrictions on paper. She wasn't sure
when it would come out. C'est la vie.

A bare-bones web-page of samata books can be found at

http://www.tamilcinema.com/samata.html

Maybe the set has come out already. See

http://www.tamilcinema.com/samata/page1.html

Rama