vivekachUdAmani

Vaidya Sundaram Vaidya_Sundaram at I2.COM
Sun Apr 25 08:57:58 CDT 1999

From: Vaidya Sundaram at I2TECH on 04/25/99 08:57 AM

43)
tathaa vadantaM sharaNaagataM svaM
    sa.nsaaradaavaanalataapataptam.h .
niriikshya kaaruNyarasaardradR^ishhTyaa
    dadyaadabhiitiM sahasaa mahaatmaa ..

Seeing the pupile scorched by the forest fire of samsAra and beseeching the
gurru to give him refuge, looking at him with eyes of compassion, the great One
should quickly assure him of succour.

tathA vadantam: him who speaks thus. Because it is possible to know the mind of
an adhikarin by his speech, it is implied that a guru should give the assurance
of freedom from fear only after he makes sure that the sisya is a proper
adhikarin.

samsAradAvAnala-tApataptam: who is scorched by the forest fire of samsAra.

evam saranAgatam: one who has approached him in the belief that the guru will
protect.

kArunya-rasArdra-drstyA nirIksya: seeing him with tender eyes of mercy.

mahAtmA: a person of uncrooked buddhi, one who is broad minded; that is, the
Guru.

sahasA abhitim dadyAt: Immediately promise of succour should be vouchsafed. By
this is implied that the fear of frightened ones should be immediately
dispelled. For it only those whose fear has been removed by the gift of abhaya
that can receive the upadesA of the guru with a calm and collected mind.

--
from Adi Shankara BhagavadpAda's VivekachUdAmani, with commentary by Sri
Chandrasekhara Bharati of Srngeri.

Pörnam adah` pörnam idam pörnaat pörnam udach`yaté |
Pörnasya pörnam ädaya pörnam éva avasish`yatè ||

The Absolute[adah] remains Perfect [poornam]as before, while the derivatives are
also Perfect [idam, poornam,]. Even though a Perfect is derived from the
original Whole, Perfect[poornasya, poornam, aadaya], the Original Perfect remain
Whole and Perfect.[poornam, eva, avasishyate.]