Vedic Religion

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian ramakris at EROLS.COM
Tue Aug 3 17:47:33 CDT 1999

Shrisha Rao <shrao at NYX.NET> wrote:

> Will do, although it will take time.  However, all things being the
> same, I'd much rather read Shankara himself with the aid of his
> commentators to learn what his refutation of the Pancharatra is,
> rather than try to get a filtered and possibly discolored version
> through a third party (with all apologies to Oberhammer).

I appreciate that position. I hold a slightly different view. I think
sometimes an appreciation of the variation of a philosophy over time
has some value to it. It's not merely a question of academic interest,
but can help in refining philosophical  views also. At least, it has
helped me in understanding many points. I'll try to explain this point
with reference to the pA.ncarAtra later.

Rama