Differences between Vedantic schools

Ravi miinalochanii at YAHOO.COM
Wed Aug 18 19:56:58 CDT 1999

In this context, I request the members to discuss mokSha and what
happpens at praLaya in rAmAnuja's and mAdhva's schools of thought.

Here is my understanding and I am quite sure it has errors. I hope I
will be corrected.

In rAmAnuja's school, at mokSha jIva in an atomic size reaches vaikunTa
and performs nitya kaiMkaryam to shrIman nArAyaNa. In principle all
jIva-s are equal and their ability to enjoy the bliss of the supreme
being does not differ. The jIva-s never become one with the supreme
being. They retain the individuality (if all are equal what is the need
to maintain individuality at the state of mokSha?)

At praLaya, the supreme being absorbs all and goes into a dormant
state. Can one say at that level no duality exists?

In mAdhva's school, there is no concept of nitya kaImkaryam. The jIva-s
enjoy the innate bliss at mokSha. This differs from jIva to jIva, the
level of bliss enjoyed is not same. There is a gradation.

At praLaya, situation is same as rAmanuja's religion. Am I correct?

Of course, in advaita-vedanta, as Jaldhar wrote, at removal avidya the
duality ceases to exist. And from a point of view of unrealized jIva,
the body of the realized one continues till death due to prArabdha.  I
think the way advaita-vedanta works, jIvana mukti is an essential and
important part and it can not be done away. But the other schools deny
jIvana mukti (both rAmanuja and mAdhva's)
--
Ravi