Differences between Vedantic schools

Shrisha Rao shrao at NYX.NET
Wed Aug 25 10:04:59 CDT 1999

Jaldhar Vyas wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Aug 1999, Shrisha Rao wrote:

> > I'm not sure I follow the question, but yes, sannyAsI-s in the Maadhva
> > tradition also do not wear the yaj~nopavIta, perform sandhyA, etc.,
> > but the significance in that case is obviously not stated to be the
> > incompatibility of karma and j~nAna, but merely that the duties of
> > those in the final Ashrama are different from those of the first three.
> >

> This is clearly wrong. Nityakarmas are enjoined for life.  On the basis of
> Shrutivakyas such as "aharaharasandhyamupaset" (Shatapatha Brahmana) our
> sages have determined nityakarma cannot be given up.  Vishishtadvaitins
> acknowledge this and their sannyasis continue with nityakarma.
> Advaitins, as was mentioned, believe this only applies to people who think
> "I am the doer."  which (ideally) sannyasis are not.  You can make a case
> for either of these views from the shastras but not the one you mention
> above.

Why not, exactly?  After all, the karma-s for all individuals are not
prescribed identically; the sages have recognized that all humanity
cannot be performing the same physical actions -- diversity is
required for social functioning.  By your logic, even non-travarNika-s
and women must perform Vedic nityakarma-s.

Regards,

Shrisha Rao