chitta shuddhi

Anand Natarajan anandn at MYWORLDMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 4 12:10:40 CST 1999

Yes . That is correct. One use the mind to get rid of the mind.
An analogy is given that "The pyre of wood is lit by another piece of wood , but once lit, the piece of wood that was used to light the pyre is thrown into the pyre and is burnt along with it ".
The mind cannot survive a one pointed enquiry into itself because the mind lives by attachment.

Anand

On Sat, 4 Dec 1999 12:39:21    Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
>On Sat, 4 Dec 1999, Anand Natarajan wrote:
>
>> In the work Upasesa Saram of Sri Ramana Maharashi, there are many verses indicative of what Chitta Shudhi is.
>>
>> For example :     "Manasam tu kim margane krithe
>>                          Naiva Manasam Marga Arjavath"
>>
>> meaning      :    "What is the mind may you enquire
>>                         There is no mind you will find."
>>
>> To me this is the whole meaning behind chitta shudhi. When the mind
>> stuff is purified, the mind and the atman remain the same. There is no
>> break up into forms any more.
>>

>How to reach that point is the question.  I find it interestig to note
>that in that shloka it suggests that even if in the end the mind and its
>concepts are not real it is through enquiry (an activity of the mind) that
>one can realize this.
>
>--
>Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at braincells.com>
>
>--
>bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam
>
>Archives : http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l.html
>Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
>Options  : To leave the list send a mail to
>           listserv at lists.advaita-vedanta.org with
>           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.

A FREE web-based e-mail service brought to you by the PC World Technology Network.