Suitability for Advaita

Anand Natarajan anandn at MYWORLDMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 7 14:43:34 CST 1999

          1) First of all I am not writing down ideas. I am only conveying whatever I have read.               You may be more well read then I am.
          2) I am talking of adavitic realization and not intellectual understanding . The two are               quite different. To understand advaita philosophy and to practise it are two different                            things.   I am talking of the latter.
          3) If we feel we are the body, then  we have not reached the stage of advaitic                            experience. Therefore we see multiplicity around us and hence I say this is dwaita.
              To put it simply ,Sri Ramana maharshi says "Now you think you are in the world ,
              Then (meaning after Jnana), you will see the world is in you ".
           4) Dwaita says the jiva can never become Brahman. Advaita also agrees on that.                There is no "becoming". You are that already. There is nothing but Brahman                              and  I am What I am is the the advaitic realization. Before this realization everything                 is still in the domain of multiplicity.

Regards.
               Anand

>Where did you get these ideas? That if one doesn't feel that he is not the spirit, he
>should practice dvaita so that he can "slowly" reach advaita ? dvaita philosophy says
>that jIvas, jada (insentinet matter) and Ishwara (Lord Vishnu) are eternally different
>from each other and that jIvas and jada are eternally dependent on Ishwara and there is
>taratamya (heirarchy) among jivas who are infinite in number. Advaita says that there is
>only one entity- Brahman and that this world of matter and multiple jIvas is mithya.
>
>FYI, Dvaita doesn't lead to advaita and a dvaitin doesn't mean one who identifies himself
>with the body. It is not my intention to advertise the dvaita site here but you may want
>to visit www.dvaita.org to get a *correct* understanding of dvaita philosophy or
>tattvavada as propounded by Sri Madhwacharya.
>
>Regards
>-Nataraj

A FREE web-based e-mail service brought to you by the PC World Technology Network.

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.