Some Vedic sacrifices of this century

Ravisankar S. Mayavaram msr at COMCO.COM
Fri Dec 24 15:44:40 CST 1999

  shankara in the vishhNu-sahasranaama-bhaashhyaa says that
chanting sahasranAma (japa) is much superior because it involves
no hiMsa and also removes necessity of running around and having
wealth, etc.  to get the necessary items for yajna etc. In
addition there are not many restrictions on time and place, and
also who can chant it.

This definitely favours japa. The kaamya karma-s that involve
slaughter of animals can be avoided. Also in giita bhagavan says
that japa is the best of yajna-s.

May be people can discuss this issue of food we eat from the
point of view of bhagavad giita. There the food is classified
based on guNa-s. And also how the food we eat aids or obstructs
our quest for aatma jnAna.  Such an analysis will be useful to
all of us.

--
Ravi

--