Sankhya vs. Advaita Vedanta

Vivekananda Centre vivekananda at BTINTERNET.COM
Sat Feb 13 22:20:26 CST 1999

Namaskar

Scholars (pandits) like to make a great deal of the possible differences
between these two schools of philosophies. The only real difference is in
the final conclusions both these philosophies draw.

Samkhya perhaps can be considered to be the first rational philosophy the
world ever saw. Other schools of philosophy - specially the Yoga and Vedanta
philosophies have drawn a lot from the Samkhya of Kapila. They just made few
final adjustments in the conclusions.

The maya of Advaita and prakriti of Samkhya are interchangable.

Whenever I study Samkhya,  I get a thrill,  the findings of Samkhya are that
exciting!
Kapila - this ancient sage - after acquiring perhaps the highest knowlege
known to mankind  - sat down and imparted this highest of philosophies to
his mother!
How poetic and sweet. Kapila was not bothered to rush out and impress the
masses, he decided to share this first with his mother!!

Hari Hari

jay
Vivekananda Centre London