Words from Ramana Maharshi

Harsha (Dr. Harsh K. Luthar) hluthar at BRYANT.EDU
Fri Feb 19 13:57:49 CST 1999

Gems from the Sage of Arunachala

1. THE STATE WE CALL realisation is simply being oneself, not knowing
anything or becoming anything. If one has realised, he is that which alone
is, and which alone has always been. He cannot describe that state. He can
only be That. Of course we loosely talk of Self-Realisation for want of a
better term.

2. That which is, is peace. All that we need do is to keep quiet. Peace is
our real nature. We spoil it. What is required is that we cease to spoil it.
If we remove all the rubbish from the mind, the peace will become manifest.
That which is obstructing the peace must be removed. Peace is the only
reality.

3. Our real nature is mukti. But we are imagining that we are bound and are
making various strenuous attempts to become free, while we are all the time
free. This will be understood only when we reach that stage. We will be
surprised that we frantically were trying to attain something which we have
always been and are. It is another name for us.

God bless you all
Harsha