Maya

Srinivas Sista sista at ECN.PURDUE.EDU
Sun Feb 21 01:59:57 CST 1999

> jay replies
>
> Dear Srinivasji
>
> I am not sure if this message was meant to come directly to me or to go =
> to the list.
> For the benefit of all I am posting the response back via the mail list.

Sorry! I hit the reply and did not check the address.
Thanks for posting it back to the list.

> Many thanks for your well thought out reaction. If I understand rightly =
> you
> are saying
> that the example is supposed to give different valuations to the rope =
> and to
> the snake.  (rope should be taken to be absolute like Brahman) - then =
> the
> equation would work out.
>
> But then can you really make the assertion that:-
> The 'snake in the rope' DOES illustrate the relationship between maya =
> and
> brahman?

Sure. Perhaps you feel that this illustration does not accurately represent
the status of maya. Then you should give your reasons for feeling that way.
The statement 'relationship between brahman and maya' should be considered
carefully. I will give a loose example:
        A person imagines a picture. What is the relationship between
        the person and the imagined picture? What is the relationship between
        the person and the power of imagination. Depending on which
        one is termed maya(picture or power to imagine), the answers differ.
        In the former no relationship, in the latter it is not apart from
        the person.

> You have requalified your statement - the requalification is not trivial =
> it is a serious one.

I meant it to be serious. I hope you will continue enquiry until doubts
get resolved.

regards,
Srinivas Sista.