VedAnta (What is meant by Spiritual Practice?)

Harsha (Dr. Harsh K. Luthar) hluthar at BRYANT.EDU
Wed Feb 24 13:16:23 CST 1999

Harsha: Here are some words from the Sage Ramana. He points to the useful
but limited role of books in the context of spiritual practice and
Self-Realization.

1. You may go on reading any number of books on Vedanta. They can only tell
you 'Realise the Self'. The Self cannot be found in books. You have to
find it for yourself in yourself.

2.      There is a state beyond our efforts or effortlessness. Until that is
realised effort is necessary. After tasting such bliss even once, one will
repeatedly try to regain it. Having once experienced the bliss of peace, no
one would like to be out of it or engage himself otherwise.

3.      If we regard ourselves as the doers of action we shall also be the
enjoyers of the fruits of such action. If by enquiring who does these
actions one realises one's Self, the sense that one is the doer vanishes and
with it go all the three kinds of Karma (viz. sanchita, agamya and
prarabdha). This is the state of Eternal Mukti or Liberation.