bhaja govindaM verse 6

Giridhar giridhar at CHEMENG.IISC.ERNET.IN
Sat Feb 27 00:28:15 CST 1999

yaavatpavano nivasati dehe
taavatpR^ichchhati kushalaM gehe .
gatavati vaayau dehaapaaye
bhaaryaa bibhyati tasminkaaye .. 6..

##yaavat.h## \ = so long as;
##pavanaH## \ = air/breath;
##nivasati## \ = lives/dwells;
##dehe## \ = in the body;
##taavat.h## \ = till then;
##pR^ichchhati## \ = enquires;
##kushalaM## \ = welfare;
##gehe## \ = in the house;
##gatavati## \ = while gone;
##vaayau## \ = air(breath);
##dehaapaaye## \ = life departs the body;
##bhaaryaa## \ = wife;
##bibhyati## \ = is afraid;fears;
##tasminkaaye## \ = tasmin.h+kaye, in that body;

When one is alive, his family members enquire kindly about his
welfare. But when the soul departs from the body, even his wife
runs away in fear of the corpse.

----

This verse is a continuation of the previous verse. The most
respected member of a family is usually the member who is earning.
As long as he/she is alive, the family members crowd around and
enquire about the welfare. But when the breathing stops, even
the spouse who has enjoyed this body will run away in fear of
the corpse.

        The blind affection which we give to our family is never
shown towards something is ever-present. Unless there is detachment
from worldly pleasures, mind can not be turned inwards. The utter
worthlessness of the ties will become apparent after one
contemplates on the impermanence of the worldly ties.  If one
enquires deeply, one can rise about merely satisfying the needs
of the body and make the mind suitable for self-enquiry.