Jainism and Hinduism (actually Vaishnavism)

Shrisha Rao shrao at NYX.NET
Wed Jul 14 21:29:42 CDT 1999

Jaldhar Vyas wrote:

> Well anyone who goes that far, has to contend with the undeniable fact
> that all Vedic philosophies posit a Supreme Being whether personal or
> impersonal.  Whereas in Jainism, all those free Jivas out there are
> floating around completely independently.  That seems to be a pretty huge
> difference to me.

Could be, but Zydenbos's reasoning is along the lines of drawing
parallels based on similarities in special features of each doctrine.
A detailed discussion of this issue does not belong here, so I will
mention just one.  For instance, he says, the status of memory as a
source of valid knowledge is accepted by the Jains and also by Madhva,
but by no one else in the Vedantic community.

It is not difficult to see why this reasoning is not adequate; the
dots don't connect properly to form the total picture presented (and
some aren't even dots at all).  For one thing, while certainly
Shankara and other Vedantins have no particular use for memory as a
valid source of cognition *in the ultimate sense*, the favoring of
memory as a pramANa can be seen in the Bhagavad Gita
(`smR^itibhramshAd.h buddhinAsho', `mattaH smR^itirj~nAnaM apohanaM
cha', `rAjan.h samsmR^itya samsmR^itya', etc.), as well as in
Shankara's comm. thereon; take for example his statements re BG XV-15,
which is read to mean that Krishna causes the exact knowledge of
memory in the pious and lapses of memory in the sinful:

  ataH mattaH AtmanaH sarvaprANinAM smR^itiH j~nAnaM tadapohanaM
  apagamanaM cha, yeshhAM yathA puNyakarmiNAM puNyakarmAnurodhena
  j~nAnasmR^itI bhavataH, tathA pApakarmiNAM pApakarmAnurUpeNa
  smR^itij~nAnayoH apohanaM cha apAyanaM apagamanaM cha  | ... etc.

Thus, the status of memory cannot be considered a Jaina influence,
unless one posits that it was an influence on the Bhagavad Gita also;
further, a source vaguely cited by Madhva (`iti shruteshcha') to
affirm the status of memory has been traced by me to the Black Yajur
Veda, so there is Vedic attestation as well.

Other arguments in this matter don't hold up particularly well either.

Regards,

Shrisha Rao