Aranyakaparva of MBh. and Yudhishtir-Yaksha Samvaad

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian ramakris at EROLS.COM
Thu Jul 15 20:13:41 CDT 1999

Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at BRAINCELLS.COM> wrote:

> Go to the Oriental division of the New York Public Library on 42nd
street
> and ask for the translation of the Mahabharata done by Prof. J.A.B.
Van
> Buitenen.  This is the most scholarly (and literate) translation
I've
> seen. Unfortunately the esteemed professor died before he could
complete
> the work and I don't know if anyone took up the work but the
> Aranyakaparvan was definitely done.  They will also have good Hindi
> translations too.  (And no doubt some truly awful ones.)

The late Prof. Van Buitenens translation is readily available in
bookstores like Borders. There are 3 volumes and each of them costs
only around $25. All volumes are eminently worth purchasing.

There is also a full translation by Ganguli (or Gangoli or something
like that). You can find the reference in Van Buitenens book (too lazy
to look it up). But Ganguli does not use the so called "critical
edition" prepared by the BORI. You can get these volumes in many
University libraries.

The Yudishtra-Yaksha dialog has been translated separately by many
people. I don't have it here (it's back home in India). I can't
remember the author offhand. If I remember I'll let the list know.

Rama