Nature of Consciousness

Fri Jul 23 11:43:26 CDT 1999

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Greg Goode wrote:

> That's a tautology.  Agreement/disagreement is a matter of degree.

But if you're talking about truth only 100% agreement will do.  Any lesser
degree is false.

> So you don't believe in synonyms?  No two words can refer to the same
> thing?  If you allow synonyms, then there can be congruent synonyms
> pointing to the same truth that Advaita points to.  If you don't allow
> synonyms, then Advaita can never even be translated to any other language,
> so therefore can't be taught in English...

I don't believe that is relevant.  After all, other types of Vedanta use
the same words to different effect.  We are talking about concepts.  If
other systems concepts match up with Advaita Vedantas' then they are
Advaita Vedanta.  Actually this is a moot point because I haven't seen any
evidence of other philosophies which agree with Advaita Vedanta except in
superficial or partial ways.