Nature of Consciousness

Anand V. Hudli anandhudli at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 23 16:06:30 CDT 1999

I wrote earlier:

> Whatever ideas that are noble and lofty, are in the Vedas. It *cannot*
> be the case that there are some profound ideas but they are not found
> in the Vedas. Any religion that bases its teachings on such profound
> ideas must be either knowingly or unknowingly following the Vedas.
> However, that religion, unless it is Vedic itself, cannot be following
> Vedas *completely*, but only partially. So we have that all religions
> of the world that are non-vedic must be following the Vedas partially,
> whether such religions acknowledge the Vedas or not.
>
> It is in this sense that a kind of "universality" of religions
> vis-a-vis the uniqueness of Vedas may be accepted by the follower of
> the Vedas. In other words, a reconciliation of the two views - 1) all
> religions have some universal concepts, and 2) the Vedas are uniquely
> capable of leading us to the truth - may be possible. Note, however,
> that this implies the non-Vedic religions can help one  make a good
> beginning in the search for truth, and that the actual realization of
> truth takes nothing short of the Vedas.

 Krishna makes a statement that seems to be analogous to the position of
 the Vedas with respect to other religions.

 Krishna says:

 mayA tatamidaM sarvaM jagadavyaktamUrtinA |
 matsthAni sarvabhUtAni na chAhaM teshhvavasthitaH || 9.4||

 This whole world has been pervaded by Me in My nature as being beyond the
 range of senses. All beings (from BrahmA down to a blade of grass) exist
 in Me, but I am not in (contact with) them, not contained by them.

 Similar is the status of the Vedic religion. It may be true that there
 are many great nonVedic religions in the world. But the essence of such
 religions is already in the eternal and changeless Vedas. And the Vedas
 are not contained in or influenced by any such religion. Whatever the
 nonVedic religions preach cannot contain what is taught by the Vedas.
 This is why the Vedas have a unique position.

 Anand