Nature of Consciousness

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian ramakris at EROLS.COM
Sat Jul 24 09:52:32 CDT 1999

Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar at BRAINCELLS.COM> wrote:

> > So you don't believe in synonyms?  No two words can refer to the
same
> > thing?  If you allow synonyms, then there can be congruent
synonyms
> > pointing to the same truth that Advaita points to.  If you don't
allow
> > synonyms, then Advaita can never even be translated to any other
language,
> > so therefore can't be taught in English...
>
> I don't believe that is relevant.  After all, other types of Vedanta
use
> the same words to different effect.  We are talking about concepts.
If
> other systems concepts match up with Advaita Vedantas' then they are
> Advaita Vedanta.  Actually this is a moot point because I haven't
seen any
> evidence of other philosophies which agree with Advaita Vedanta
except in
> superficial or partial ways.

I agree completely with the last statement. If there is 100% agreement
with advaita vedAnta (basic tenets) why would anyone want to set up a
new system? One might as well follow the aged old tradition of advaita
vedAnta.

Rama