Thank You

Gummuluru Murthy gmurthy at MORGAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Mon Jul 26 13:11:11 CDT 1999

On Sat, 24 Jul 1999, Parisi & Watson wrote:

> It has become clear to me, and I'm sure to everyone else, that I do not
> belong in this list, at least not at this time. But I would like to thank
> all the members of the list for their patience and attention. In no other
> forum would I be likely to encounter either such a high degree of intellect,
> or such forbearance for skepticism. I have been thrashing around with the
> ideas of Vedanta for years, and gradually moving away from them. I brought
> my tentative conclusions here in order to present them for error checking,
> in an effort to make sure that I wasn't missing anything. In the process, I
> have realized some things about Vedanta that I never knew, and that cause it
> to have even less appeal for me. But we can never shrink back from the
> relentless pursuit of truth, even (especially) when it leads to
> disappointing or unpalatable conclusions. I'm sure that all members will
> agree with this statement, even if our notions of what that truth is are
> dramatically different.
>
> Robert.

namaste.

I have followed the discussion on consciousness. I was away from the List
for the past few weeks, and as I got back, I was able to read all the
postings on this thread sequentially at the same time. This gave me a
better perspective of the pro- and counter- arguments.

I feel sorry that Robert has found vedAnta unconvincing. May be, what
he found unconvincing are the dogmatic arguments put forward on this
List in favour of the vedAs. If Robert had got into a discussion with
a true follower of vedAnta, he would see the wisdom contained in the
upanishads; and would further see how effortlessly, vedAnta (upanishads)
explain the Truth. He would also see how it is immaterial whether vedAs
ALONE contain the truth or not. A perfect understanding of vedAs make one
become vedA, the Knowledge, in which case, this argument whether the
vedAs are the ultimate or not, is irrelevant.

Regards
Gummuluru Murthy