SankarAcArya's bhagavad gItA bhAshya: 2. 19-20

Anand V. Hudli anandhudli at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 9 12:36:29 CDT 1999

"nAnuyAjeshhu yeyajAmahaM karoti". There seems to be some confusion
  regarding my rendering of anuyAja as "post-sacrifice". The term
  anuyAja is perhaps better translated as "after-offering" or
  "after-sacrifice." The context of the anuyAja is sacrifices such
  as the darsha-pUrNamAsa fortnightly sacrifice. After the main sacrifice,
  come the anuyAja offerings or the after-offerings. It is during these
  offerings that the hotR^i, the R^ig vedic priest, should recite the verses
  of offering, the yAjyA's. In all offerings other than the anuyAja
  offerings, the hotR^i should first say "ye yajAmahe" before reciting the
  yAjyAs.  The meaning of "ye yajAmahe" is "ye vayamadhvaryuNA niyuktAH te
  yajAmahe"- we sacrifice (offer) to You being directed by the adhvaryu,
  ie. we recite the yAjyA's.

  Also, the detailed explanation of the nAnuyAjeshhu sentence is not
  found in the gUDhArtha-dIpikA of MadhusUdana sarasvatI. It would
  be odd for a sannyAsI to go into the details of shrauta sUtras, unless
  he wanted to put forth a pUrvapaxa argument, which is not the case here.
  Rather MadhusUdana merely indicates that he combines "na" and "bhUtva",
  in the sense of abhUtvA, just as such a combination is done in the
  case of the nAnuyAjeshhu vAkya.

  Anand