Snake in the Rope

Ashish Chandra achandra at WNMAIL.WNDEV.ATT.COM
Mon Mar 15 17:56:08 CST 1999

Jaladharji,

<<<
you wrote:
Nevertheless I would like to point out that Advaita Vedanta has a certain
set of doctrines it accepts and others that it rejects.  If you think this
smacks of dogmatism, you are correct.  Advaita Vedanta does have a set of
dogmas which over the centuries its' Acharyas have attempted to explain and
defend.  There is nothing to be ashamed of in that.  We can legitimately
discuss where those boundaries are but we cannot pretend there aren't any.
 And given that there are boundaries, there is nothing wrong in examining
whether a particular person falls withing these boundaries or not.

There is hardly anyone who would disagree with you. But there is a way of
examining whether or not a particular person falls within certain
boundaries or not. One would expect that similar care would be taken in
describing the results of such examinations rather than the oblique manner
in which you have chosen to characterize someone whom people revere to this
day.

Ashish