Practical Vedanta

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian ramakris at EROLS.COM
Tue May 18 19:57:24 CDT 1999

Sankaran Panchapagesan <panchap at ICSL.UCLA.EDU> wrote:

>        My other question was basically to Vaidya Sundaram. He said
though
>he had enthu to do social service, etc. he placed greated weight on
Ramana
>Maharishi's words, and concentrated on AtmavicAra instead. But as
long as
>one has not renounced all desires and the world (sannyAsa) such
reasoning
>is not valid because dharma includes social service, and as long as
one is
>not doing AtmavicAra full time, by slowly conquering and eliminating
all
>desires and taking sannyAsa, one has to do social service as a part
of
>dharma. Otherwise philosophising at the jnani level would necessarily
be
>constred as escapism, as Madhavan Srinivasan did, right? (don't take
>offense, but such is the perspective from outside).

What is social service? If it's helping others to the extent possible
it's good. I presume all of us here try to do that. If you are
thinking about rewriting rules in smR^itis, etc, then advaita is not
for you.

Further there is no "GYAni level" here. A GYAni has no conception of
differences, much less social service. A few quotes from Ramana
Maharshi who you seem to like:

"The smritis say something. They are not apprpriate now. I will reform
the world and rewrite smritis." Saying so, people are cutting capers
in the world from time immemorial. Such reformers have come and gone;
but the ancient smritis still stand. Why waste time over such matters?
Let each one mind his own bussiness. All will be well. (page 138,
Talks).

D: I am trying to follow instructions. But caste distinction is
painful. It must go.
M: To whom does it cause pain?
M: It is you who say it. There are countries where there are no
distinctions of caste. Are they free from trouble? There are wars,
internecine struggles, etc. Why do you not remedy the evils there?
D: There are troubles here also.
M: Differences are always there. There are not only human beings, but
also plants, animals, etc. The state of affairs cannot be helped.

[ ... ]

M: There is diversity in the world. A Unity runs through the
diversity. The self is the same in all. There is no difference in
spirit. All the differences are external and superfecial.

[ ... ]

D: The people feel the injustice of caste distinction. It must be
rooted out.
M: You can *individually* arrive at a state where such distinctions
are not perceived and be happy. How can you hope to reform the world?
Even if you try you cannot succeed.

My comments: If you want to help people in society, go ahead and do
it. Why think others must follow your foot-steps? Further note that
it's not from the stand point of a GYAni that the Maharshi is
speaking. It's from a sAdhakas viewpoint.  Bottom line: The state of
no distinctions can be arrived at only by self-realization. If you
think it's a cop-out, so be it. Then, it's for you to realize that
advaita is NOT, I repeat *NOT* for you, and move on to something else.

You also seem to have not realized Anands point. If  some people
cannot follow their duties, does it mean everyone else does not? Or
does it mean everyone else should start doing "social service" just
because some people do not follow their duties? That's absurd, to say
the least.

Rama