Vedanta

Giridhar giridhar at CHEMENG.IISC.ERNET.IN
Mon May 24 05:32:04 CDT 1999

namaste.

                This is not a question on advaita vedanta, but I hope this
is appropriate for the list.

                In the discourse on Katha upanishad, Swami Vivekananda
says the following:

"And the story goes on to say that the boy went to Yama, the god of death.
Yama was the first man who died. He went to heaven and became the governor
of all the Pitris; all the good people who die, go, and live with him for a
long time. He is a very pure and holy person, chaste and good, as his name
(Yama) implies. "

1. Is it mentioned in some other scripture that Lord Yama was the first man
who
died ?

2. I thought good people go to all sort of lokas, the highest being the
Brahmaloka
(from where there is no return).

I would be grateful if the learned members can clarify. If this question is
not appropriate for the list, please respond by personal email.

Thanks in advance,

gm