Shankaracharyas' view on Dharmashastras

Mon Nov 15 14:01:17 CST 1999

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

> Now a person may argue who are these sages?  Why can't <insert name of
> someone who confirms your prejudices> be considered a sage?  Those who are
> qualified to explain Dharma, are above all those who practice
> it.  Vidyashankar once observd here that Hinduism is not so much about
> orthodoxy but orthopraxy.  It doesn't matter how much you believe in it
> but how much you practice it.  A sage is also someone with a deep
> understanding of the issues at hand.  Just as a judge cannot make rulings
> out of thin air, he must be aware of and consider all the legal precedents
> etc.  Lastly, he must have no ulterior motives.  Making a decision first
> then attempting to justify it with random bits of shastra is out of the
> question.  There are such people even today.  YOU may end up being one of
> thos people!

Yikes! On rereading this I noticed there is a sentence missing near the
end which completely changes the meaning of what I'm trying to
say.  "There are such people even today" refers to sages.  I was
suggesting Kartik (or indeed anyone reading this) could be a sage not a
random justifier.

Apologies for any confusion which may have been caused.

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.