BrahmanAs and their jobs

Sankaran Jayanarayanan sjayana at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 21 18:57:22 CDT 1999

"Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar at BRAINCELLS.COM>

 > On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Dr. S.R.Marur wrote:
 >
 > > On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
 > >
 > > >Throughout
 > > >recorded history Brahmanas have had other occupations to materially
 > > >sustain themselves.  Yet side by side they also practiced their
 > > spiritual
 > > >duties.  Modern times haven't really changed anything in this regard.
 > >
 > > History of brahmanAs of south India seems to contradict this
 > > observation.
 > >
 > > With the dharma shAstric injuction that a brahmanA should engage
 > > himself ONLY in learning and later teaching vEdAs and associated
 > > scriptures, this community seemed to have dedicated itself to this
 > > purpose completely, without having any other vocation and subsisting
 > > purely on grants/alms from rulers and trading communities
 > > (esp. ChettiAr-s).

Yes, this is in accordance with the smR^tis: there are only so many
lawful occupations for a braaMhaNa, excluding rare occassions like
war-time, famine, etc.

Apastamba dharma-suutra, editted by Max Mueller:
(2.5.10)
------------------
4. The lawful occupations of a BraahmaNa are, studying, teaching,
sacrificing for himself, officiating as priest for others, giving alms,
receiving alms, inheriting, and gleaning corn in the fields;

5. And (he may live by taking) other things which belong to nobody.

6. (The lawful occupations) of a Kshatriya are the same, with the
exception of teaching, officiating as priest, and receiving alms. (But)
governing and fighting must be added.

7. (the lawful occupations) of a Vaishya are the same as those of a
Kshatriya, with the exception of governing and fighting. (But in his case)
agriculture, the tending of cattle, and trade must be added.

8. He (shall) not choose (for the performance of a shrauta-sacrifice) a
priest who is unlearned in the Veda, nor one who haggles (about his fee).

------------------

The Gautama dharma suutra concurs with the above. The Vishnu Purana says
pretty much the same thing, except that it adds some "internal" qualities
like universal benevolence, etc. for a braahmaNa.

The dharma suutras also say that during student-ship,a student *must*
subsist on alms only, no matter what the caste.

 > > The switching over to English education, migrating to cities and
 > > settling down with a secular job by brahmins had started during the
last

 > > couple of decades of last century, as almost all the Hindu kingdoms and
 > > samasthAnam-s which were giving dAnam-s to brahmanA-s and vEda
 > > pAtashAlA-s, were completely taken over by British by then, bringing
the

 > > govt. funding to vEdic education to nil.
 > >
 > > Even during the previous muslim rule, this community seemed to have
 > > carried on with their vEdic duties, with whatever little resources they
 > > had!

I believe the muslim occupation of India did not extend to Tamilnadu.
Perhaps a few muslim kings now and then, but certainly not like the North,
where they reigned supreme except for occassional Hindu rebellions. The
Tamils being great warriors resisted the muslim invasion, which was
probably the reason why some parts of Tamilnadu continued with no break in
Hindu tradition whatsoever.

 > > The famous example of British period is the mahA-mahO-pAdyAya srI RAju
 > > shAstrigal, popularly known as MannArgudi pEriyavAl. MannArgudi is a
 > > village in Tanjore district and he was known by the name of his
village.

 > > He was considered to be the greatest pandit of his times and he stayed
 > > throught out his life teaching shAstrAs to students, without having any
 > > job for an income. He almost subsisted on grants. Other famous
 > > personalities who lived without any secular job, even during this
 > > century are kadalangudi natEsa shAstry, sEngAlipuram dIxitAr, to quote
 > > a few.
 > >
 > > Similary, it can be shown that during the past so many centuries,
 > > brahmins
 > > of south India didn't choose to have a job for earning. They were
 > > engaged
 > > in vEdic studies and their propagation, for its own sake and were given
 > > grants to support that activity and respect for the way they carried
out

 > > this mission.
 > >
 > > Regards,
 > >
 > > Sudhakar
 > >

 > I have had the privilege to know mahatmas like this too.  For instance
the
 > person who performed my yagnopavit, Shri Jagannath Shastriji had
 > opportunities to become quite well off but refused them because he felt
it
 > would interfere with his true vocation.  But cases like mine are more
 > typical.  the surname Vyas indicates a kathakar of Mahabharata, Bhagavata
 > etc.  And several of my ancestors did just that.  However at least since
 > the mid-18th century, they have mainly been employed as teachers and
minor
 > bureaucrats.  Undoubtedly, the political situation had a big part to play
 > in this.  The Kathiawad region of Gujarat where we are from was divided
 > into no less 202 little kingdoms and there was constant turmoil.  In
 > constrast the South was much more peaceful and prosperous.  Yet even
 > there, isn't it true thre is a distinction between Vaidiks who are
engaged
 > in  Brahmakarma full time and Niyogis who combind it with some secular
 > job?

The Vaidika-Niyoga separation was only in Andhra, I think. Even this may
have been due to the muslim invasions. The Brahmins in Tamilnadu were
always only Vaidikas, and to this day, the most orthodox Brahmins are to
be found in Tamilnadu. A gentleman I know is the friend of a person who
had visited several states in India in order to record some Vedic hymns,
and he told me that the oral tradition of the chanting of the Vedas is
much better preserved in Tamilnadu than anywhere else in India (except for
occassional pockets in Karnataka or Gujarat).

 > Everyone--not just Brahmanas should endeavor to know their Dharma and
 > practice it to the best of their ability.  It may not be easy, conditions
 > may not always be ideal, but if we try Bhagawan will forgive us any
 > imperfections.  But if we despair and decide it is to difficult to even
 > try, where will it leave us?
 >
 > --

-Kartik

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam