Changeless...

Rajesh Venkataraman rajesh_venk at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 29 14:51:22 CDT 1999

>I have a question based on the following premises of Advaita -
>
>1. Only Brahman is true. Time is a vyaharika entity, which in the 'final'
>analysis is unreal.
>2. Brahman is changeless.
>
>To say that something is changeless, the normal procedure that I know is to
>record the initial and final state and the lack of difference therein;
>between not just the two end states, but all the infinite intermediate
>states. but this procedure, like other vyaharika entities, presupposes Time
>- which is not real.
>So, on what basis does one say that the only paramarthika entity, Brahman
>is
>changeless?

Time is what we perceive. For example in a dream you may see a lot of things
happening over a period of number of years while in reality only a few
seconds/minutes would have passed. But as long as you are in the dream it is
a reality and importantly *only* so long as you remain in it!! And btw,
according to vedanta even our experiences in the waking state are a dream!
So, time is never an independent entity.

One of the fundamental requisites of Vedanta is to accept "ignorance". Only
then Vedanta makes sense... Refer the Mundaka Upanishad verse

ParIkshya lOkAn karmacitAn braHmaNo nirvedamAyAt....

Now that we have accepted ignorance, we need to see what has to be done to
overcome it. We cannot keep saying that there is 'no time' when we fully
perceive it and act according to it. Now we adopt the "neti neti" approach
and reject all nAma rUpA(which exist only in time) in lieu of the absolute
sAkshI which pervades the nAma rUpA and without which name and form will
cease to exist. All this happens ONLY in time. And even time exists in
brahman and is not independent of that.

So, to answer your question vedanta never presupposes time but tries to take
you beyond space, time and causation given that we are already caught in it
and are struggling!! When you get bitten by a snake you don't waste your
time in catching the snake. You first look for a cure!

Hope this helps. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Rajesh

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.