origin of gOthras

Sreekanth Sathayanarayana Sreekanth.Sathyanarayana at ENG.SUN.COM
Fri Sep 3 16:41:27 CDT 1999

namaste,

I am not sure if this topic has already been addressed on the list.

I was till now under the belief that the gOthra that we use to identify
ourselves implied that we were followers/descendants of the particular Rishi and
that these Rihis were the saptha mahaRshis. Yest'day I found out that my frined
belonged to a gOthra called "kapi" gOthra. I asked him to chant out his pravara
which has the names of the 3 Rishis from whom the gOthra is supposed to have
originated. To my surprise all the 3 Rishis I heard were not known to me. So I
am wondering if my blief that the gOthras originated from one of the
saptha-Rishis was incorrect. Can some of the learned members kindly throw some
light on the origins of the gOthras and if possible list all the gOthras?

Sreekanth
  \                       SREEKANTH SATHYANARAYANA                \
   \  SUN Microsystems Inc,         \   575, S. Rengstorff Ave,    \
    \  17, Network Circle,           \   Apt #119                   \
     \  Willow Road at Bayfront Expwy \   Mountain View, CA 94040    \
      \  Menlo Park, CA 94025          \                              \
        \   Ph (Work): (650)-786-7741    \  Ph (Home): (650) 210-9634   \
         \       Fax : (650)-786-2512     \                              \
           \ E-mail: sreek at jurassic.eng.sun.com, sreekanth at eng.sun.com     \

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org