mAyA and avidyA

Ravi msr at COMCO.COM
Tue Sep 28 18:15:41 CDT 1999

This is a late response to Jaldhar; the difference between mAyA
and avidyA (from the commentary of lalitAtrishatI) is former is
integral or samaShTi form and the latter is vyaShTi or individual
form.  This is highlighted in few names. For instance "kalyaaNii"
which the second name, it reads that brahman reflected on (or
limited by ) mAyA is iishvara and reflected or limited by avidya
or manas in vyASTi form is jIva.
--

Besides, mAyA can be described as a power, but avidya cannot be.
And the limiting adjunct of jIvA is avidya and it lacks the power
to create, sustain and destroy the jagat which is done by
iishwara assuming one of the three guNa-s for this purpose.

This is my understanding. Please do correct the errors.

Ravi

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.
>From ADVAITA-L at LISTS.ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG Wed Sep 29 05:00:59 1999
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 05:00:59 GMT
To: List for advaita vedanta as taught by Shri Shankara
        <ADVAITA-L at LISTS.ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG>
From: Devendra Vyas <dev_vyas74 at HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject: Re: The world and brahman
Comments: To: ADVAITA-L at braincells.com

0.the only reality is brahman(this is the conclusion(axiom)of sruti),reality
as it appears to us because of
maya(or mind or name-form or space-time-causation  or ignorance or illusion)
is unreal.we and all objects i.e, what we take to be the real world are all
indeed the same identical non-dual brhaman
but it all appears as the differentiated duality due to the play of
nama-rupa.pl.cf.shloka 20 of drg-drsya viveka.thus,reality is always real
but the way we are taking it to be,the way it is appearing to us coming
thro' the mind is unreal ;illusion-though it has empirical validity as long
as we are bound to see it.the best answers to all your doubts can be found
in modern language in jnana-yoga of sw.vivekananda.the ocean-wave analogy
may also help you to grasp the point.wave has no independent,absolute
reality,the only reality is the ocean.truth must be non contradicted,this
world (of matter) is negated in dream and the dream world is negated in deep
sleep.the truth(pure consciousness endures in all the 3 states and
transcends it.)
1.indeed for us who are in maya it best to discriminate between sentient and
insentient(world and brahman),realization alone will give us the  confirmed
knowledge--'all this is verily brahman'
2.reality is brahman,what we are calling real presently is unreal because
that is the real coming thro' illusion.essentially what we are calling the
real is also the same thing but we don't see it that way because of
maya,thus we see the infinite as the finite because of maya(mind's) habit
:'svabhava' of objectification,limitation and differentiation. this
superimposition of nama-rupa(maya) is beginningless; but it has an end ,it
ends with knowledge.the dream analogy will help you grasp this point.as long
as it lasts, the dream is real to the experiencer and also he can't tell
when it started ,but,on waking; it ends and truth dawns.