Absolutism and Relativism in Advaita

Rajiv Malhotra rajiv.malhotra at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Mon Apr 3 19:13:58 CDT 2000

Let me state my views on this central question you raise - is advaita
absolutist or relativist?

It cannot be either in the conventional sense. Relativist would by itself
imply that there is no ultimate reality. Absolute would imply that we could
represent the absolute or at have it as referent, which also we cannot.
There is an absolute NON-THING, but being not a thing (which includes ideas,
concepts, etc) it cannot be said to exist in the sense of the term
existence. Existence would have to be against the backdrop of its opposite
and hence we would be back to the pair of opposites.

Truth or thing or existence depends on the view, which is relative to where
one is viewing from. There is no Brahman's eye-view because Brahman's is a
non-view, outside the categories of existence and non existence. All views
are inherently relative only.

So is there anything absolute? Yes but not viewable, because any view must
be relative.

So how is this absolute 'non-view' truth experienced? By transcending all
views, that's a state of identity with and as Brahman, which is non-view.
Like the square root of minus 1 is not a real number and merely a pointer to
a 'transcendental' non-number, so also Brahman is not any 'thing' or
'concept'. Final truth is a non-view, transcending all possible views.

Therefore, all views, religious paths, etc are relative only. The ultimate
is beyond all paths. Paths can just point to the transcendental but never
describe it.

In this sense, each religion is valid for someone at some stage and to take
him/her to some higher stage. Like different paths on different faces of a
mountain, some work faster, some require more prerequisites, some take you
higher before you transfer to another road, etc. Some have more pitfalls
along the way.

Regards,

Rajiv