The Rig Vedic Ramayana - 2

Anand Hudli anandhudli at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 8 11:08:15 CDT 2000

On Sat, 8 Apr 2000 03:14:41 EDT, Ashish Chandra <ramkisno at HOTMAIL.COM>
wrote:

>In the English translation of Sayana's commentary of the RgVeda, 10th
>madala, 99th sukta, the 1st and the 2nd Rk are translated differently.

 You bring up an excellent point. I was waiting for someone to bring it
 up. sAyaNAchArya's is the standard interpretation based on the assumption
 that the saMhitA portions (mantras) belong to the karma kANDa. But
 nIlakaNTha gives a different interpretation based on the view that
 the mantras really are something more than having to do with the karma
 kANDa. This view is justified because the sUktas, especially of the
 Rig Veda, are really prayers addressed to Gods. As such, these prayers
 can be studied either in isolation or in the context of karma. There is,
 for example, a view that the ViShNu-sahasra-nAma, nay the mahAbhArata
 itself, is based on the Vedas. If epics such as the rAmAyaNa and the
 'bhArata are based on the Vedas, there *has* to be some correspondence
 between the epics and the Vedas. This is what nIlakaNTha has done in
 the case of the rAmAyaNa. He identifies the exact mantras in the Rig Veda
 that correspond to the contents of the rAmAyaNa. I have heard that he has
 also written another text called the mantra-bhAgavata wherein he has
 identified the mantras in the Rig Veda that correspond to the contents
 of the bhAgavata. This is based on the view that the bhAgavata in its
 entirety is, like the rAmAyaNa, based on the gAyatrI mantra. And the
 gAyatrI mantra is the essence of the Vedas.

 Both sAyaNAchArya's and nIlakaNTha's interpretations are valid but they
 are valid in different contexts, sAyaNa's in the context of karmas, and
 nIlakaNTha's in the context of bhakti or upAsana.

 Anand

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org