svadharma (was Re: ADVAITA-L Digest ...)

Sankaran Jayanarayanan kartik at ECE.UTEXAS.EDU
Wed Feb 2 13:18:42 CST 2000

On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Giridhar wrote:

> But many priests I met did not allow me to perform shraddham
> unless I did the necessary purificatory rites.

My father was regularly learning some portions of the Yajur Veda from his
teacher till about 1965, when my father made a trip abroad for graduate
studies. On his return, his teacher wouldn't admit him back into the Veda
classes, even after the completion of the prAyashchitta rites. It was only
about 15 years later that the teacher re-admitted him to the classes,
saying, "The rule has now been relaxed." There must still be many
BrAhmaNas who hold onto strict orthopraxy.

> Bye
>
> Giridhar

Regards,

Kartik