Dharmashastras (Was: Re: Question)

Fri Jan 14 10:41:18 CST 2000

For the benefit of people searching for topics through the archives let's
use more descriptive subject lines than just "question."

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Ashish Chandra wrote:

> I believe I read in the book Hindu Dharma that the Dharmashastras for the
> Krishna Yajur Vedins is by Manu, Apastamba and Hiranyakesin. So I am not
> sure it could have been Svayamvhuva Manu.

Dharmasutras and smrtis are different things.  There are supoposedly 18
smrtis and 18 upasmrtis.  Kalpa is the vedanga dealing with all aspects of
Shrauta and Grhya rituals.  Inter alia they also discuss Dharma.  Some
Shakhas have seperate Dharmasutras, in others that subject is covered in
the Grhyasutra or just omitted.  Further complicating things, some of the
authors of Smrtis on the list are actually authors of Dharmasutras so it
is not clear if they wrote two seperate works or one.

> > > What is the Dharmasutra for the Madhyandina Shakha of Sukla Yajur Veda ?
> > >

> >There isn't one.  Paraskara is the Grhya sutra and Katyayana is the
> >Shrauta sutra.
> >
> I thought Yajnavalkya wrote a Dharmasutra. Which Shakha was it for?

There is a Yajnavalkya Smrti.  It is not tied to any particular shakha.

Note also all Dharmashastras are authoritative regardless of
shakha.

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.