astika vs. nastika

Vaidya Sundaram Vaidya_Sundaram at I2.COM
Mon Jul 10 17:37:49 CDT 2000

namaskArams.
 While I was going through "Dialogues with a Guru" (Guru = Sri Sri
Chandrasekhara Bharati mahAswamigal of Srngeri), I came across a topic
where H.H is discussing the qualifications of a person to call himself
astika. He notes that three questions have to be answered  "Yes". They are:
(paraphrased)
a) Do you believe in the existence of God
b) Do you believe in the presence of lokas other than the current perceived
one
c) Do you agree to the superiority (or veto role) of the Vedas in the
matters pertaining to the realm of Atmajnana
H.H says that even if one of the above are answered in the negative, the
aspirant is a nastika and is therefore not fit to take up discussion or
study or otherwise of vedanta ...

I have come across some references where in the author cites some schools
of vedanta which need only the third condition to be true, and would be OK
even if the aspirant were to deny any role for Ishwara etc ... I request
some knowledgeable list members to provide some pointers, or better still,
consider this worthy for some discussion.

bhava shankara desikame sharaNam
Vaidya.

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam