Antiquity of advaita vedanta (was : an open letter to all)

nanda chandran vpcnk at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 21 15:44:16 CDT 2000

I know there's very little point in my posting a reply to this, but this is
for readers who might be misled by such arguments.

>He calls it viGYAna (consciousness)
>and describes it as aja (birthless), achala (stationary), avastu
>(non-object), shAnta (peaceful), and advaya (nondual) in 4.45.
>The mAdhyamika can *never* say  this about *anything*.

"aparapratyayam shAntam prapanchairaprapanchitam nirvikalpam anAnArtham
etat tattvasya lakshanam" - "the Real is that which can only be directly
realized, that which is calm and blissful, where all plurality is merged,
that where all the cries of the intellect are satisfied, that which is the
non-dual Absolute".
                                                 - MAdhyamaka KArikA

That advaita is prachanna bauddham is not to be disproved by trying to show
that advaita has no buddhist influence. Though this might pass in dogmatic
or fanatic circles (which incidentally has no place in a true Advaitic
following and is but a clear example of ignorance being a breeding ground
for prejudice), a scholarly critical evaluation will tear such an argument
to shreds.