O Desire!

Jagannathan Mahadevan jagan at CCWF.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
Mon Mar 6 12:11:48 CST 2000

I would say no land is particularly pure or no land is specifically mean't
for spiritual pursuits. Also I don't think anybody gets a free
meal. Whether one is in India or elsewhere the efforts for survival are
the same. Besides spiritual advancement is purely a individual issue
rather than a collective issue. In the sense that it is not a requirement
for the society, it is for the individual. It is another matter that
individual well being collectively determines the society's well being.

The west has also worked hard to achieve what they have. They set the
trend in Sciences and Technology. They have shown commitment to their
beliefs. India has had ages of leadership in spiritual studies and
philosophy. The West has to use the advancement already made by Indians in
philosophy and the East(atleast India) has to use the advancement already
made by the Western society. One has no choice over this and the world has
to come together. Swami Vivekananda had said about this in his series of
lectures(I unable to quote right now, but shall do so soon).

I think it is a global society now and is no more restricted to
places. People will travel and explore different parts of the world if
they can and come their own conclusions about what they want. Instead of
hardening our beliefs by cocooning ourselves, we could carry the message
of our rishis and our conviction to everybody. And there are so many who
want to know it only they don't know where it is. I think this is a far
more true picture.

"Love yourself and you will love everybody"
"Pardon yourself and you have the capacity to pardon others"
Mahadevan Jagannathan,
Graduate Student,                           3301, Speedway, # 203,
Department of Petroleum Engineering,        Austin, Texas,
University of Texas at Austin,              TX 78705.
Texas, TX 78705.
Ph: (512) 232-5824                          Ph: (512) 481-9590

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.