Forwarded message: Jivanmukti as per Advaita-Vedanta FAQ

elmec elmec at GIASBG01.VSNL.NET.IN
Sun Mar 19 13:32:32 CST 2000

Vidyasankar Sundaresan wrote:

> The one who sees no multiplicity at all is venerated as the highest jnAnI.
> What about one who is convinced of the truth of non-duality, either because
> of intellectual conviction, or faith in his guru's teaching, or faith in
> scripture, or a combination of the above? However, such a person may not
> yet literally see non-duality on his own. Is he also not some kind of a
> jnAnI? Is he also not englightened, in the ordinary sense of the term? It
> is for such a person that practices for the regulation of the mind are
> described.

Very true. A person who believes in the tattwa of 'ekamevaadvitiiya' is himself
much above an ordinary mortal who is drowned in materialism. The very belief
that this body as well as this world are 'ashaashwatha' and that Ishwara alone
is our savior is sufficient to take the person high on the ladder of
spirituality.

And, about seeing or not seeing the 'non-duality', I am reminded of a line that
I had read somewhere. " Advaita is not the denial of duality, but the denial of
the reality of the duality " !

Regards,
Hari Om,
Latha Vidyaranya