Can iishvara pull out a jiiva from bondage?

Fri Mar 24 15:04:18 CST 2000

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Sankaran Kartik Jayanarayanan wrote:

> Ramana Maharshi has said, "All of Vedanta is contained in the two Biblical
> statements: `I am that I am' and `Be still and know that I am God.' "

It's been a long time since I looked at a Bible but I'm pretty sure these
two statements are from Jesus talking about himself.  I don't think any
interpreter has held them to refer to the individual Christian himself.

> Again, to a person who asked him about the Bible and the GItA, Ramana
> said, "They are the same book."
>
> It's highly unlikely that Ramana would've made such strong statements in
> support of the Bible if it weren't non-dualistic.

Perhaps it is possible to interpret Christian teachings that way but
historically it has not been done which is an important thing to consider
if following the faith of ones forefathers is a goal.

bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam

Help     : Email to listmaster at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
           SIGNOFF ADVAITA-L in the body.