Advaita and Christianity

jkcowart@cari.net jkcowart at CARI.NET
Mon Mar 27 19:16:37 CST 2000

------------------------

At 09:54 PM 03/26/2000 -0500, Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian wrote:
>jkcowart at cari.net <jkcowart at CARI.NET> wrote:
>
>Thank you for the three references. I'll try to obtain and read these.
>They sound very interesting.

In that case, I might suggest one other:

Vempeny, Ishanand, S.J.  _Krsna and Christ._  Anand, India:  X. Diaz del
        Rio, 1988.  Cloth, 498 pp.  ISBN: None shown.  $20.00.

Prof. Vempenny introduces his "Dialogical Method" which operates on the
"conviction that no religion possesses the truth totally and exclusively, that
every religion has enough wealth to enrich other religions, and that every
religion is worthy of love and respect."  He states that his method is "more
love-centered than knowledge-centered" and that it "lays more emphasis on
right attitude than right logic."  (Quotes are from the Prologue.)

Again, there is nothing here that would *equate* Christianity with Advaita
Vedanda.

Incidentally, I had one other misspelling in my last post.  "Mentus" ought
to have been "Mentis" in Bonaventure's _Itinerarium Mentis in Deum_.  I
regret the error.

And I do indeed find this list most interesting--as well as helpful.

Best wishes,

John

J. Kingston Cowart, M.S.
San Diego, California