UPANISHAD MAHAVAKYA

Shrisha Rao shrao at NYX.NET
Wed May 17 11:27:49 CDT 2000

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Bhaskar Y.R. wrote:

> Sripada Shankaracharya had projected the verse, 'tat tvam asi' as the
> Maha-vakya.  But "Aum" or "Om" is the Pranava-mantra as well as the

In matter of fact, the term `mahAvAkya' and the identification of specific
phrases as referents for the same, are not actually found in Sri Sankara's
works, and the concept apparently cannot be convincingly be dated to his
time either.

Though this is a significant point and of interest to anyone who wishes to
study Advaita and its textual and metaphysical tradition, I think you
would be further well advised to note that: (i) Prabhupada is, simply put,
a bogus guru who did not have the credentials he claimed to have (his
claimed "disciplic succession" in the "Bhagavad Gita As It Is" (sic) is an
outright lie, and his explanations of the 'Gita are drastically different
from Madhva's); and (ii) if you wish to study Advaita, it is better for
you to observe carefully rather than spout forth with misinformed opinion
("better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove
all doubt," ityukteH).

Regards,

Shrisha Rao

--