Antiquity of Advaita Vedanta (was Re: An Open Letter to All)

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian ramakris at EROLS.COM
Sun May 28 09:26:23 CDT 2000

Sankaran Kartik Jayanarayanan <kartik at ECE.UTEXAS.EDU> wrote:

> Nagarjuna also makes a judgment stemming from experience, "All
entities
> are subject to causation." Again in stark contrast, VedAnta firmly
upholds
> Brahman as transcending causation.

Thanks to Kartik for pointing out passages from relevant texts. I'll
try to post some relevant excerpts from sha.nkaras works later. But
one thing various people have overlooked (although Jaldhar touched
upon this) the fact that shruti (and smR^iti) pramANa *alone* can
produce realization. It would be quite clear to anyone not infected by
vacuous optimism that sha.nkara makes it quite clear that avidyA is
destroyed by the shruti pramANa only. shruti is a pramANa (means of
knowing), that should be quite clear. It's not a record of some
mystical realizations of some X or Y or Z. The Buddhists don't accept
shruti pramANa, hence their avidyA cannot be destroyed. There is no
question of the sha.nkara and Nagarjuna having the same "realization".
End of story.

> If you're referring to some mystical realization that you've had on
> reading the kArikA, I would have to say, "No thank you, but I'm not
> interested." I'm sure many others on this list share my feelings.

Exactly. "I sat down in meditation and realized this truth, hence it
must be true" kind of stuff is not vedAnta. Old time list members may
remember the time when this list was overrun by such characters. Many
(if not all) of them were trying to use this list as a springboard for
guru-hood, again clear to anyone not infected by vacuous optimism.
Yes, at least I share your feelings.

Rama

--
bhava shankara deshikame sharaNam