An outline of the Chandi Path

Ashish Chandra ramkisno at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 4 09:18:04 CDT 2000

Thanks for the writeup Jaldhar.

>Chandi Path means the text concerning the Goddess Chandi.  It is also
>called Durga Saptashati or 700 verses related to the Goddess Durga and
>Devi Mahatmya or Glory of the Goddess.

Check out this link and see if this is the Chandi Path you had asked to be
performed.. In the book Durga Saptashati, there is the Devi Sukta and Tantra
Sukta that need to be recited. Should that be done as well (it actually
mentions that Devi sukta, Tantra Sukta and another one, need to be recited).

http://www.alkhemy.com/sanskrit/doc_devii/doc_devii.html

>It is a part of the Markandeya Mahapurana.  This Purana is related by
>Markandeya Maharshi to Jaimini Maharshi and hs students who have taken the
>form of birds.  Unfortunately, I don't have the full text of this Purana
>so I don't know how they came to be in the form of birds.

Not sure but the episode of Rishi Yajnavalkya with his guru Vaishampayana
caused the former to vomit out the Yajur Veda which came out black.
Vaishampayan's disciples turned into birds and picked up the Yajur Veda
again. Perhaps Rishi Jaimini too did that. Not sure if there is a relation.

>the story of the eighth Manu called Savarni that the chapters of the
>Chandi Path occur.

This is the Vaivasvata Manvantara of the Svetvaarah kalpa - the 7th
manvantara isn't it?

thank you