vidyA.m shuddhA.mcha buddhi.m kamalajadayite satvara.m dehimahyam ..4..

Aravind Krishna seeksha at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 4 22:20:50 CDT 2000

..shrIH..

vidyAmudrAxamAlAmR^itaghaTa vilasatpANipAthojajAle
vidyAdAnapravINe jaDabadhiramukhebhyopi shIghra.m  natebhyaH .
kAmAdInAntarAn matsahajaripuvarAn devi nirmUlyavegAt
vidyA.m shuddhA.mcha buddhi.m kamalajadayite satvara.m dehimahyam ..4..

vidyAmudrA axamAlA amR^itaghaTa vilasat pANi pAtha oja jAle
natebhyaH jaDabadhiramukhebhyo api shIghra.m vidyA dAna pravINe
mat antarAn kAmAdIn sahaja ripu varAn devi vegAt nirmUlva
vidyA.m shuddhA.m buddhi.m satvara.m  cha kamalaja dayite mahyam dehi

'vidyAmudrA axamAlA amR^itaghaTa vilasat pANi pAtha oja jAle'
In the lotus cluster like arms, you bear the sacred rosary, nectar pot and
the symbol of knowledge.

shAradAmbA is brahma vidhyA svarUpiNi. She is an offspring of the eternal in
its pure form of knowledge. She holds amrUta gaTa and axamAlA in the upper
arms and bears cinmudrA and pustaka in the lower two. They represent the
four stages in realization.  vedAnta vachana shravaNa is denoted by the
pustaka in her lower left palm. axamAlA in the upper left arm denotes
manana, nididhyAsanam, jIveshvara abheda dyAnam or realization of non
duality is represented by  vidyA mudra or cinmudra and the nectar pot
represents samAdi, the eternal state of pure bliss.
‘shivAnujA’ is one of the 108 names of sarasvati, hence dakxiNAmUrti is also
seen with similar hand gestures.

'natebhyaH jaDabadhiramukhebhyo api shIghra.m vidyA dAna pravINe'

You are adept in bestowing knowledge even if the seeker is a dumb idiot.

Even when a distilled idiot approaches her, with her grace he realizes the
eternal spontaneously. If she starts with rAma shabdha in vyAkaraNa and
finally teach Vedanta with mImAmsa, nyAya and other essentials in between,
it would be a prolong study for decades to come. To practice vichAra with
the essential qualities, it may need several births. ‘shIgra.m vidyA dAna
pravINe’ is the phrase used to indicate her potential. Even if an earnest
seeker approaches her with a single prostration, She blesses him with all
that is needed in no time and opens the door of realization for him.

'devi ! mat antarAn sahaja ripu varAn kAmAdIn vegAt nirmUlva'

O Mother! Quickly remove kAma, kopa and other internal enemies of mine.

If she is that capable then why am I still in this delusion? , That is
because I have not acquired the qualities that would make me fit to receive
her blessing. Hence the next prayer is to ask her to destroy all the
internal enemies to make one fit for realization. kAma, kopa and other
internal enemies of mine ‘mat antaraan sahaja ripu varAn’ have eternally
resided in me that have made me stray from my true nature. Wipe away them in
no time ‘vegAt nirmUlya’. Let me vanish with out a stain.

The words vegAt in this line, shIgram in the former and mahyam in the next
denote the earnest longing of the seeker.

'vidyA.m shuddhA.m buddhi.m satvara.m  cha kamalaja dayite mahyam dehi'

When I am free from my internal enemies O! kamalajadayite, please bless me
with knowledge and flawless intellect to realize the eternal state of mine.

jaya shR^iN^gAra devate.  jaya tuN^gA taTastithe .

Aravind