New member introduction: Sri Chaitanya Bhagavat

Ravi Mayavaram msr at COMCO.COM
Wed Sep 6 09:35:21 CDT 2000

-------- Original Message --------
From: "Chaitanya Bhagavat" <chaitanya_bhagavat at hotmail.com>
Subject: Introduction
To: msr at comco.com

------

Dear members, mumuxus, and muktas,

It does feel funny to write an introduction to the Advaita list. I guess
my
first name "Chaitanya" says it all! Anyway, for the record, I was
brought up
in Pune, a bustling city in western India. Presently, I'm working in the
Boston area. I have never been formally coached in Advaita although I
have
been interested in it since my early childhood and have taught myself a
thing or two. My interest is more than simply academic-I want to take
full
advantage of this rare human birth and wake up from this nightmarish
(pun
intended) transmigratory existence. Having lived a major part of my life
in
Maharashtra (a state in India), I have been profoundly influenced by its
devotional mysticism. I'm strongly convinced that loving devotion to
Shri
Hari is the surest and quickest way to the supreme goal. I was glad to
see
that Bhakti is not considered to be a taboo by the members of this list.
That's one of the reasons why I chose to join this list. Another being
that
I'm sick and tired of "hypermodern Advaita" propounded by new-age
"Gurus"
who simply use flowery words such as "just be", "quit the effort" and
thus
dismiss the real struggle which most of us (at least myself) have to
face.
So, in short, classical Advaita is what I hope to learn and apply. I may
have many (stupid) questions which I hope will not offend the learned
pundits of this list.

Best wishes,

Chaitanya

--