New member introduction: Sanjay Srivastava

Ravishankar Venkatraman sunlike at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 4 10:18:42 CDT 2001

Sanjay,

As you know, Upanayanam is done for Brahmins, Kshtriyas and Vaisyas. I was
thinking that Kayasths had to have the Upanayanam ceremony before marriage.
In that case, it should make them eligible. Traditionally, what has been
followed about eligibility has to be understood well before commenting on
why some candidates are eligible and some are not.

As per Ramana Maharishi, anyone can pursue Atma Vicharam, but the method is
different. Studying the scriptures with the intention of preaching is one
thing, but studying the scriptures for the sake of improving knowledge is
another thing. Vivekananda has opened up the knowledge of the Upanishads for
everyone, both in the East and West.  We have everything available in
English today. So, as times are changing, different views are also becoming
valid.

If you are a serious student, you will find someone who can teach you and
take you to higher levels. The late of Sankaracharya of Kanchi sent Paul
Brunton to Ramana Maharishi. His Holiness DID CONSIDER Paul Brunton as an
eligible candidate, in spite of being a westerner. This has nothing to do
with tradition, but more with being serious about your pursuits. So, I am
sure that if you have the fire in you, and if you are sincere, you will have
someone preach you the right knowledge.

I hope that I am not sounding like a preacher here.

God bless,
Ravi