Avadhoota & Paramahamsa (fwd)

Ashish Chandra ramkisno at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 15 10:33:57 CDT 2001

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001 10:40:47 -0400, Jaldhar H. Vyas
<jaldhar at BRAINCELLS.COM> wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Ashish Chandra wrote:
>
>> As per the Jivanmuktiviveka of Sri Swami Vidyaranya, jivanmukti is the
>> prerequisite for vidvat sannyasa. Only paramhamsas can take vidvat
sannyas
>> because they become paramhamsas on the onset of jivanmukti.
>
>There is no seperate vidvat sannyasa to be taken.  It is the culmination
>of sanyasa and it *is* jivanmukti.

I disagree a little Jaldhar. You have already read the Jivanmuktiviveka. In
it you will find that even though Rishi Yajnavalkya had already attained
jnana, he still took vidvat sannyasa. You will notice how Sri Vidyaranya
describes this i.e. why should a jnani take vidvat sannyasa at all. I will
look up the reference and post tomorrow but you can look it up if you like.

ashish