Reality of the world

Vidyasankar vsundaresan at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 19 21:13:21 CDT 2001

K. Sadananda <sada at ANVIL.NRL.NAVY.MIL> wrote:

>Fundamentally "thing out there" cannot be established independent of
>the mind and this I call as "Indeteminate Problem" can be covered by
>extending the definition of "anirvachaniiyam".

I have been following the discussion with some interest, as it hones
in on one of the key issues in Vedanta.

According to classical Advaita, I believe the relationship between
"thing out there" and "mind" needs to be revised and restated as
follows. Fundamentally, the "thing out there" cannot be established
independent of the perceiving consciousness, while the "mind" is the
instrument by means of which the perceiving consciousness perceives.
Both the mind and the external object are part of the indeterminate
problem.

Vidyasankar