Mind and the Intellect (fwd)

Fri Dec 21 20:26:34 CST 2001

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Vivek Anand Ganesan wrote:

> Thanks to ShrI Balasubramaniam for his reply. I would like
> to further clarify my question. Isn't nirvikalpa samAdhi
> and
> turIya the same thing the difference being only in the
> terminology ( samAdhi is yoga while turIya is advaita
> vedAnta )? Also, is the yogic kaivalya the same as jnAna?

Well, as I mentioned, the crucial difference is that in Samkhya/Yoga, the
goal is merely freedom from material constraints (of which the mental
concepts are just the most subtle kind.)  On liberation a jiva just kind
of floats there while the world continues on its' merry way.

In Advaita Vedanta, the goal is total unity.  Between the jiva and the
world and between all the other jivas.  This is why samadhi is not enough
by itself.  Maya is held at bay but it is still "out there."  only when it
too is understood as being not other than the atman is there moksha.

Also, let me again state that this is a comparioson of the "classic"
samkhya/yoga and Advaita Vedanta.  Even then as all astika darshanas are
based on the Vedas, there was some similarity in concepts and goals.  In
later times it was absorbed into Advaita Vedanta so later writers may
indeed use certain terms interchangeably.